Ackerman, Martin and Diane
Martin Ackerman ’53 and his foundation helped the University Art Collection develop its holdings of important artists such as R. B. Kitaj, Berenice Abbott, Maurice Sterne, and many others over a period of nearly 15 years. In total, more than 5,000 objects were given to Syracuse University through the activities of the Ackerman Foundation.
A trustee of the University for over thirty years, George Arents was a major benefactor of the University Art Collection directing such holdings as his mother’s collection of more than 100 pieces of 19th Academic Art to the University in 1949 (The Annie Walter Arents Collection). Later, in 1950, he donated a major collection of European liturgical vestments to the University.
Inspired by the collecting habits of another important donor, Mr. Cloud Wampler, to the University Art Collection, Mr. Armstrong concentrated his attention on acquiring important 19th and 20th century images by architectural etchers. In 2011 he gifted a collection of more than 225 prints that included work by John Taylor Arms, Samuel Chamberlain, and Charles Meryon.
Arnold, Emil and Weiss, Edward H.
Mr. Arnold and Mr. Weiss were major collectors of prints by Federico Castellon and they donated more than 400 of Castellon’s graphics to the University Art Collection in 1967.
The Bolm Collection of ballet designs includes the work of several important 20th century artists including Nicolai Remisoff, Michel Larinov, and Robert Eskridge.
A renowned print dealer and specialist in American printmaking, Sylvan Cole was a generous friend and partner in many University Art Collection activities. In 2005 the Art Collection acquired his personal library of more than 500 books including catalogues raisonné and volumes on the history of printmaking.
Collette, Alfred T.
An alumnus of Syracuse University, and later department head for Science Teaching and founding director of the University Art Collection, Dr. Collette donated over 200 objects to the University Art Collection. Of particular note was his donation of 20th century Japanese color woodblock Shin Hanga prints.
A long-time professor of Art and Chair of the Printmaking Department at Syracuse University, Don Cortese made a significant gift of prints made by his students since the early 1970s. An additional donation in 2014 allowed the Cortese Collection to eclipse over 200 works on paper and includes work by Louisa Chase, Bill Patterson, Robert Patierno, alongside examples of Cortese’s prints, drawings, and books.
The widow of Rico Lebrun, Constance Crown and her son, David Lebrun have made the University Art Collection one of the largest repositories of Lebrun’s art. Significant paintings, prints, drawings, and sculpture, mark this collection of the artist who Art in America called “the best-known Los Angeles artist of the 1950s, acclaimed for his somber, expressionistic paintings and drawings on such angst-ridden themes as the Crucifixion, Dante’s Inferno and the Holocaust.”
Dunn, Alan and Mary Petty
The Petty Dunn Center for Social Cartooning was established in 1978 at the Syracuse University Art Collection through an endowment from Mary Petty and Alan Dunn. In addition to the financial gift the couple gave their personal collection of over 5000 original drawings for The New Yorker and other magazines. The Center organizes periodic exhibitions, publishes catalogs, and maintains a study gallery for the presentation of art from the collection. Over the years works by a variety of 20th century social cartoonists who published in The New Yorker, Saturday Evening Post, and other magazines have been added to the Center’s collection.
Fox, John R.
Colonel John Fox was an avid collector of Korean ceramics and Japanese prints. His collection at Syracuse numbers more than 400 objects. The Korean ceramics collection surveys nearly two thousand years of pottery making in that country while the Japanese print collection has many wonderful examples from the 19th century.
Fritz, Robert Bradley
A friend and benefactor, Mr. Fritz ’51 established an endowment for art purchases to benefit the University collection and its teaching programs.
Grant, Arnold M.
A member of the Class of 1927 (SU law degree 1929), a trustee, and a New York City attorney, Mr. Grant gave the University Art Collection more than 25 paintings including Salvador Dali’s Moses and Pharoah.
The noted art critic and alumnus of the University, Clement Greenberg ’30 gave paintings by Helen Frankenthaler, Friedel Dzubas, and Kenneth Noland in 1982. These paintings were important additions to our collection of 20th century abstraction that includes work by Henry Botkin, Willem DeKooning, and Robert Motherwell.
Jalonack, Harold M.
Harold M. (‘17) and Alice Jalonack gave an important collection paintings, prints, and drawings including works by Charles Burchfield, James Abbott McNeill Whistler, John Sloan and other important American artists. The Jalonack collection contains more than 175 works of art.
In the mid-1990s, Mr. Jacobs made a gift of almost 200 pieces of pottery made by the United States Pottery Company (1847-1858) of Bennington, Vermont. That company gained national prominence when its hard paste porcelain designs were featured in the 1853 Crystal Palace Exhibition in New York City.
Annette Kaufman has made significant contributions to the University Art Collection and its art programs. She and her late husband, Louis Kaufman, amassed an impressive collection of Milton Avery paintings that became the subject of an exhibition that premiered in 1999 in the University’s gallery at the Joseph I. Lubin House in New York City. The exhibition traveled to numerous institutions as part of our traveling exhibition program and was the core of the Phillips Collection exhibition- Discovering Milton Avery: Two Devoted Collectors, Louis Kaufman and Duncan Phillips.
The Maryknoll Sisters, a Roman Catholic order of nuns based in Ossining, NY, made a gift of original artwork created by young artists who worked at their art center in Dar es Saalam, Tanzania between 1972 and 1990. The collection includes work by George Lilanga, Robino Ntila, and Edward Francis Kliza.
Long time collector of books and material about the arts of social cartooning, satirization, and other forms of comment art, Ms. Melczer gave more than 200 books to the Mary Petty and Alan Dunn Center library at the SU Art Galleries.
Menschel, Robert B.
Long time collector of important photographs, Robert B. Menschel ’55, H’91, made a significant gift to the University Art Collection, including work by Eugene Atget, Imogen Cunningham, and Aaron Siskind. More contemporary photographers are represented by Robert Giard, Geoff Green and Ruth Fremson.
Moore, C. Fay
The C. Fay Moore Art Nouveau Collection is an important grouping of art glass and pottery that includes a large number of Tiffany lamps and vases. This collection forms the core of our Art Nouveau Glass and Pottery exhibition that has been seen in numerous museums around the country.
Moy, Jacqueline and Adrienne
The daughters of artist Seong Moy, Jacqueline and Adrienne helped Syracuse establish a master collection of their father’s work in printmaking. Numbering more than 150 prints, this is the largest single collection of their father’s work.
This collection of African art was amassed by a Syracuse University School of Library Science professor while he was on the staff of the University of Lagos, Nigeria. The collection comprises nearly 400 pieces of tribal and court art from western Africa.
Palitz, Louise ’44 and Bernard
Louise (’44) and Bernard Palitz, as benefactors of Syracuse University and the Art Collection, have provided art and financial support for our exhibition programs. An endowment from the Mr. and Mrs. Palitz helped underwrite expenses for the art gallery that bears their name at Syracuse University’s Joseph I. Lubin House in New York City. In 2011, the Palitz Art Scholar Award was established, which supports deserving graduate students in Art History or Museum Studies at Syracuse University.
Pees, Samuel T.
Dr. Samuel T. Pees ’59 gave a large collection of South American and Indonesian art to the University in 1988. These works have been used in exhibitions and as part of our campus enrichment program that places selected works from the University Art Collection in public areas and offices on the SU campus.
Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Podell gave a collection of more than 30 Pre-Columbian artifacts that have been used extensively in our exhibition programs and for teaching. Rare Pre-Columbian objects from Mexican and Central American are featured in this significant collection.
The Powys Collection contains 50 examples from the history of lace making that were given to the University in 1965 and have been used for exhibition and study. Ms. Powy’s business, the Devonshire Lace Shop, became a leading international exchange for historical lace and she became a leading authority on the subject.
Professor Randall, a recipient of a University research grant in 1957, selected many of the pieces in this collection while working in Japan. Additional works were added by Professor Charles Dibble in the 1960s and the entire collection was named The Ruth Randall Collection of Contemporary Japanese Ceramics in 1965.
Reeves, a well known American teacher, designer, and conservator of Folk Arts, assembled this collection while working on a Fulbright Scholarship in India from 1956-1957. Consisting of more than 550 pieces, this collection includes many rare examples of South Asian folk art. The collection was purchased by Syracuse University with the cooperation of Dr. Robert Brooks, Cultural Attaché of the United States embassy in New Delhi.
Schneider, Rona and Martin
An important gift of over 650 original prints to the Syracuse University permanent art collection came in 2017 from Rona and Martin Schneider of Brooklyn, New York. Rona, a well-known print dealer and member of the International Fine Print Dealers Association, specialized in late 19th and early 20th century American and European prints especially those made as part of the “Etching Revival.”
Sohacki, Steven and Bernice
Friends of the Martin Ackerman Foundation, Mr. and Mrs Sohacki gave the University Art Collection more than 350 works of art in the 1980s. These works included photographs by Berenice Abbott and Philippe Halsman, as well as significant collections of prints by R. B. Kitaj, Joe Tilson, and Lynn Chadwick.
Long time Professor of Fine Arts at Syracuse University, Dr. Tatham has been very generous helping the University Art Collection build its holdings of important American prints, including work by Winslow Homer, Thomas Nast, and John Sloan.
The University Art Collections owes a great deal to this former executive at the Syracuse based Carrier Corporation for his generous gift of more than 750 works of art by important printmakers such as Rembrandt, Whistler, John Taylor Arms, F. S. Haden, Alphonse Legros, and many others. The Wampler Collection of Prints is the nucleus of the print collection and has provided students many opportunities for studying numerous important subjects in print history.
Wickey, Harry and Maria
This pair of artists were very generous to Syracuse University in the 1960s. They directed more than 250 of their own works to the Art Collection, and more than 175 works by their contemporaries and friends. Included in the Wickey Collection are works by John Steuart Curry, Harry Sternberg, Jerome Myers, and Don Freeman. The University’s Special Collection Research Center also maintains correspondence and other papers from the Wickey estate.
Wiezel, Rudolf and Alice
The Wiezel’s gave a generous gift to Syracuse University that helped the Art Collection renovate our storage and exhibition spaces in 1993. We acknowledge their generosity and thank them for helping us develop an effective environment for the presentation and study of art from the University Collection. In 2015, the Wiezel Gallery was established, and this space is used to present special exhibitions from the permanent collection, as well as loaned exhibitions.
White, James F.
White, friend of the galleries and longtime collector of images by printmaker Robert Kipniss, has given generous gifts of prints and paintings by Robert Kipniss over a number of years to the Art Collection. This gift of more than 300 works of art has allowed the Art Collection to amass the majority of the artists graphic output.